[OpenLayers-Users] Does openlayers provide efficent client side spatial referenced query mechanism?

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 18:19:03 EDT 2009

> Hi All,
>
> Is it realistic to add 30,000 points to a layers, not having to display these points all at once,
> but rather display a subset of the intersecting points when the user selects a rectangular region?
> Are there function for such spatial referenced query? Is this too much for the client side?

30.000 points?
mmhh, as suggested from Zac, i would strongly recommend you to use a
mapserver like MapServer or GeoServer. I would then serve and get the
layers in OpenLayers as a WMS and i would add the points as a WFS only
when certain zoom levels or extent are reached.
Does it make sense?
Best regards

Paolo