[OpenLayers-Users] Vector-like feature interaction with large, complex layers

Tom B seileef at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:36:36 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've read about a couple of methods (clustering strategy, choosing WFS or
WMS based on zoom level) for working around the issue of WFS layers being
unusable for performance reasons when large numbers of complex features are
involved.  Neither of these are terribly good solutions for our map, though,
and I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas of good approaches.

Our map has multiple layers with features that span many scales, and some
layers have large numbers of complex polygons (e.g. counties of China).
We'd ideally like to be able to highlight features/labels when the mouse
hovers over them, and click on a feature to get its info instead of making a
request to the map server that finds features based on the pixel location.

I'm guessing that this isn't doable, given how these interface options rely
on vector layers, and using vectors for such complex data isn't realistic
performance-wise.  Using the method of switching between WFS and WMS based
on zoom level wouldn't really work for us because of the wide variety of
scales of our features.

Are there any other approaches to this?  It seems like a performance issue
that just can't be avoided, but maybe there are some creative solutions that
I'm missing?

Thanks,
Tom