[OpenLayers-Users] "progressive jpegs" as tiles not loading gracefully

Steve Guerrero guerrero.steve at gene.com
Wed Jun 17 16:55:26 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am using openlayers to navigate large tiled microscopy images in
"progressive jpeg" format.  I'm using the TMS layer and my own getURL
function to retrieve tiles.

Progressive jpegs are the kind that first load a blocky/blurry low
resolution version of the image and then get progressively more detailed.

When I have a tiled image with smooth backgrounds and/or very little
image detail within the tiles (i.e. the jpegs are highly compressed, the
file sizes are pretty small), they load just fine.  But when I try a
tiled image with lots of small details (i.e. less compression, bigger
jpeg filesizes), they seem to be "stuck" either partially loaded (strips
of white empty space) or they are only loaded at low resolution
(blocky/blurry first pass of the progressive jpeg).

My question is, is there a way to force that the tile should be loaded
completely to its highest resolution (i.e. don't bother showing
intermediate resolutions, just wait until you have the full res jpeg).
Is this a timeout issue with tile loading?  Is there some way I can
instruct OpenLayers to spend more time loading each tile so that it
arrives complete?

Thanks,
-sg