[OpenLayers-Users] How to add an overlay to the map, but not select it by default

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Fri Jun 26 09:06:50 EDT 2009

Hi,

  Some hints :

  - you should use OpenLayers.Layer.WMS instead of MapServer.  I don't
know the reason but some OL devs occasionally say this.
  - don't have too many OpenLayers.Layer objects in your map.  It's
slow.  If you can, have many server-side layers single OL layers.
Simply define them in the 'layers' param property, seperated by ',' if
your OL layer is WMS or ' ' if MapServer :
    (WMS) layers:'mylayer1,mylayer2,mylayer3' or
    (MapServer) layers:'mylayer1 mylayer2 mylayer3'

  Just some hints,

Regards,

Alexandre

Adrian Popa wrote:
> Thanks! This is a cleaner way to do it :)
>
> Alexandre Dube wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Adrian Popa wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to add several overlay layers (from mapserver) to an
>>> openlayers map. Everything works as expected, but when the map
>>> loads, all the overlay layers are selected. I would like to have the
>>> ability (programmatically) to select which layers are selected by
>>> default. Here's an example of how I enable an overlay layer:
>>>
>>> var rtc = new OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer("Test",
>>> "http://terra/cgi-bin/mapserv", { map='/var/www/html/map/rtc.map',
>>> transparent:true, format:'png',
>>> map_imagetype: 'agg',layers: 'mylayer', maxExtent: new
>>> OpenLayers.Bounds(20.26, 43.16, 29.70, 48.46), maxResolution:
>>> 156543,units: 'm'},
>>> { isBaseLayer:false, projection: sphericalMercator, singleTile:
>>> 'true'});
>>>

>> Add visibility:false to your options :
>>
>> { isBaseLayer:false, projection: sphericalMercator, singleTile:
>> 'true', visibility:false}
>>

>>> map.addLayers([rtc]);
>>>
>>> I was unable to find a method in the documentation to allow me to
>>> 'deselect' specific layers. If there is, I would appreciate a pointer.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Adrian

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears