[OpenLayers-Users] Correct dateline wrapping or correct map bounds, but not both?

David Zwarg dzwarg+ol_users at avencia.com
Mon Jun 29 09:35:33 EDT 2009

Hello Jani,

I was coming across a very similar problem to yours.  I needed to represent
networks that spanned the IDL, with points and lines. (
http://www.sourcemap.org/beta/stage/index.php/objects/object-105)   The way
that I got around the wrapping was to add points and lines as multi-point
and multi-line geometry collections.  1 geometry would lie within the bounds
of the coordinate system (-180 to 180, in your case below), and the other
geometries would be -x and +x * 360.  For example, mapping 0, 51.47722
(Greenwich, UK), would place points at -360, 0, and 360.  One could extend
this as many times as necessary, based on the aspect and maxExtent of the
map.

This approach adds a bunch of features to the map, but gets rid of the
flipping when the map is scrolled over the IDL.

David