[OpenLayers-Users] remote kml file onto google projection

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Sep 2 11:07:56 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 02:35:58PM +0000, Jonathan Wolfe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to overlay a remote kml file onto the google projection and I
> get: Access to restricted URI denied" code: "1012.
>
> When I use a local file, it works just fine.
>
> Because of security reasons, I cannot set up a proxy server like the FAQ
> suggests.  Does anyone know how to get around this?

Set up a proxy, or move the file. The Javascript Same Origin Policy prevents
access to files that are not on the same 'origin' (host, port) as the HTML
document. If you can't make the client think that the file is local (this
is what a proxy does) or move the file so that it *is* local, then there
is nothing that Javascript can do to help you.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta