[OpenLayers-Users] get the values from controls

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Sep 10 09:35:45 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 08:26:27AM -0500, sunny74 wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I want to have the lonlat from the mouseover event.
> For this I have written the following code for trapping the event,
>
>  map.events.register("mouseover", map, function(e) {
>              var lonlat1 = map.getLonLatFromViewPortPx(e.xy);
>              //alert(lonlat1);
>              var txt1 = document.getElementById('Hidden1');
>              txt1.value = lonlat1;
>
>          });
>
> But I find that the lonlat value that comes,does come in a jerky fashion i.e
> lonlat value doesn't come in a continuous manner with every movement of the
> mouse.
>
> In order to tackle the problem it would be better to get the value from the
> MousePosition Control.
> Does anyone know how to get the value from this control?

You want the 'mousemove' event, not the mouseover event (which only
fires when you enter or exit a div; your 'jerkiness' comes from crossing
over non-visible tile borders).

> Similarly how to get the layer names from the LayerSwitcher control?

for (var i = 0; i < map.layers.length; i++) {
    alert(map.layers[i].name);
}

> How to manipulate the LayerSwitcher so that it shows only the layers at a
> particular zoom level and not all the layer groups at the same time?

This is not possible in OpenLayers at this time.

-- Chris

> Thanks for ur reply.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta