[OpenLayers-Users] showing tooltip over a mapserver map

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Sep 11 09:14:56 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 07:27:36AM -0500, sunny74 wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I need to show the name of cities as a tooltip on a map.The tooltip should
> appear as soon as  the mouse moves over a city.While I am able to fetch the
> name of the city from the database I not very sure as to how to create and
> display the tooltip.
>
> Pls give the detailed javascript code for the tooltip in the mousemove
> events.

Generally speaking, this type of code is beyond the scope of OpenLayers.
It is possible to use "Popups" in OpenLayers to achieve this type of
functionality, but it is equally possible using other Javascript toolkits
like ExtJS or tooltip libraries. I recommend researching more into this
type of display outside of OpenLayers.

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt