[OpenLayers-Users] ND and Sphinx

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Mon Sep 21 11:49:19 EDT 2009

Yves Moisan wrote:
>> AFAIK Sphinx doesn't have a built-in mechanism for auto-documenting
>> JavaScript code. GeoExt has its own mechanism (jst) for that.
>
> Thanx Eric.  In the meantime I realize that Sphinx "isn’t primarily a
> tool for fully-automatic API and code documentation. Instead, its focus
> is on narrative documentation, meant to be read in a particular
> order." (http://conference.scipy.org/proceedings/SciPy2008/paper_6/full_text.pdf).  I'll look for jst.

You'll probably have the most luck asking me directly about jst :)

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out about the best
documentation tools around.  We invested a good bit of effort (a handful
of developers donated a lot of time) into switching the OL comments to
Natural Docs syntax.  I was interested in trying something that wasn't
as tightly coupled to a specific HTML renderer for GeoExt.  I don't get
the sense that there is interest in changing things documentation wise
for OpenLayers - but if someone dropped bags of money on us to do it, it
would be fun to research the best solution.

Tim

> Yves

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org