[OpenLayers-Users] Suggestion for hosting platform?

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 10:54:27 EDT 2010

Jeff,

I sounds like OpenLayers with a WMS or TileCache or tiled WMS layer
would work for you.  Even if you used a pre-rendered tile backend, I
believe that you could still send WMS getFeatureInfo requests to a WMS
server (you would need to keep the data in sync though).

If KaMap wasn't performing well for you, I don't think that just
because KaMap was built on phpMapScript, you should assume that you
will get the same performance from MapServer.

MapServer can serve up WMS pretty well.  You can look at a comparison
of MapServer and GeoServer in the FOSS4G WMS shootout.
http://www.slideshare.net/gatewaygeomatics.com/wms-performance-shootout

The trick to serving any of this data quickly is making sure that you
have pre-processed and optimized/indexed your data as much as possible
to reduce the amount of processing that has to happen at the time of a
request.  As for MapServer vector data sources, I believe that the
common thought is that shapefiles are still faster, but PostGIS
performance has been significantly improved in the past few years.  In
cases where your data is more complex, you have more complicated
filtering needs, or your data changes frequently, the flexibility of
PostGIS is worth the small performance hit.  MapServer also has
support for SQL Server.

David.

If you are familiar with MapServer, you can use it to pre-render the
tiles for your TileCache or WMS-T.