[OpenLayers-Users] Suggestion for hosting platform?

Andrew Hughes ahhughes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 22:22:43 EDT 2010

If you are looking to serve dynamic maps/data then you're probably going to
look at geoserver's or mapserver's non-cached services (WMS, WFS... but not
WMS-C or TMS). Dynamic data sources are extremely slow when compared to
static cached services (WMS-C or TMS)(unless of course your dataset is
small). If performance is what you are after, try and use a *cache as much
as possible*...

My first rant would be to consider what data is dynamic and what is not. As
soon as you work out what is not dynamic... look to caching (WMS-C in
Geoserver or TMS in tilecache). I don't believe one will out perform the
other... it's really just disk I/O, caches are fast! I've always used
tilecache with geoserver wms rendering the maps. TileCache has some oooober
tweakable configuration and you have the ability to (intelligently) manage
your cache with very little effort.

Dynamic data performance relies heavily on the performance of the
datasource. PostGIS is in my experience a brilliant spatial database. If the
database is slow sometimes you might need to change the transaction config
and fine tune it. But that's life :)

MapServer vs Geoserver. It depends... both are good. Geoserver is quick and
easy to setup, better standards compliance, but styling your maps (with
SLD's) takes a while. MapServer is probably a touch faster rendering, offers
some nice anti-aliasing and styling of maps, but has less interoperability.
To be honest, plan on using them both - but use a common service
specification that they both offer (like WMS or WFS). That way you could
switch the backend without disrupting clients.

These would be my recipes:

OpenLayers ----> TileCache TMS (on Apache+Python) -----wms----> Geoserver
(on Tomcat or other) --------> PostGIS (or readonly ShapeFile).
or