[OpenLayers-Users] scaleline in lon/lat projection

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Wed Apr 28 11:36:45 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 16:46 , Jan wrote:

> Strange. Now it works, but only with OSM layer (which is in Spherical Mercator) and it does not work when I use WGS-based layer (e.g. "http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0") - in this case scaleline changes between 1000 and 10000 km when I drag a map towards poles.

The ScaleLine control uses a line in North-South direction to calculate the scale distance. If you are at the poles, there will be one coordinate that goes beyond the pole. Hence the measurement problem. Can you please create a ticket, I have a patch that changes the scale line control to do a West-East measurement instead.

Regards,
Andreas.

> Regards,
> Jan Burdziej
>

> 2010/4/28 Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at osgis.nl>
> Add your control after the call to zoomToMaxExtent.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
> On Apr 28, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Jan wrote:
>
>>         var map, scalebar;
>>
>>         function init(){
>>
>>             map = new OpenLayers.Map('map');
>>             var layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
>>
>>                 "OpenLayers WMS",
>>
>>                 "http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0",
>>                 {layers: 'basic'}
>>
>>             );
>>

>>             map.addLayer(layer);
>>

>> 			var scalebar = new OpenLayers.Control.ScaleLine({
>> 				geodesic: true
>> 			});
>>
>>             map.addControl(scalebar);
>>
>>             map.zoomToMaxExtent();