[OpenLayers-Users] Permalink doesn't update on addlayer/removelayer

Marc Jansen jansen at terrestris.de
Tue Aug 24 09:15:30 EDT 2010

Hi Andreas,

first of all, sorry for cross-posting in the past. I thought it was
useful in this case.

I'd disagree about the not handling of the layeradd/layerremove event
for the Permalink-control -- but can easily live without this addition
to OpenLayers :-)

Your suggestions of alternative ways of handling application "state" are
valid and often better suited, yet I think the addition of two
additional listeners to the control would be very intuitive.

Best regards,

Marc

On 24.08.2010 14:49, Andreas Hocevar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, please don't cross-post dev and users.
>
> I am not sure if a permalink as provided by OpenLayers is what you really want for applications where the user can add or remove layers. The permalink only stores the visible/invisible state of the available layers in their order. It does not know anything about what these layers are. So a permalink will look exactly the same for any map with the same extent with let's say 3 layers that are all visible.
>
> If you want to store information on what layers are actually configured, you should look into Format.WMC, Format.OWS or solutions like the OpenGeo Suite's GeoExplorer (http://suite.opengeo.org/geoexplorer), which stores layer configurations in a database and provides a permalink with a map id.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas.
>
> On Aug 24, 2010, at 14:31 , Marc Jansen wrote:
>

>> Hi Slawomir,
>>
>> I'd consider this a bug with a (on first sight) reasonable easy fix:
>>
>> In the Permalinks draw-method:
>>
>>          this.map.events.on({
>>              'moveend': this.updateLink,
>>              'changelayer': this.updateLink,
>>              'changebaselayer': this.updateLink,
>>              'addlayer': this.updateLink,
>>              'removelayer': this.updateLink,
>>              scope: this
>>          });
>>
>> Or one could think of triggering a changelayer event when a layer has
>> been added/removed in Map.js.
>>
>> I am unsure which design is better, so I'd suggest opening up a ticket
>> (I cc'ed the developer list so the core developers notice this discussion).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marc
>>

>> On 24.08.2010 13:53, Slawomir Messner wrote:
>>
>>>    Hello,
>>> Does anyone know why Permalink doesn't listen to addlayer/removelayer?
>>> Every time I add a new layer I have to change a property(i.e.
>>> visibility) to refresh the link. It's a bug or a feature?
>>> Regards,
>>> Slawomir

    Karten im (Inter|Intra)net?

    OpenLayers - Webentwicklung mit dynamischen Karten und Geodaten
    von M. Jansen und T. Adams, OpenSourcePress, München.

    ISBN: 978-3-937514-92-5

   Dipl.-Geogr. Marc Jansen
   - Anwendungsentwickler -

   terrestris GmbH&  Co. KG
   Irmintrudisstraße 17
   53111 Bonn

   Tel:    ++49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -53
   Fax:    ++49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -57

   Email:  jansen at terrestris.de
   Web:    http://www.terrestris.de

   Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835
   Komplementärin:  terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
   vertreten durch: Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams