[OpenLayers-Users] Vector points aver the dateline

David Zwarg dzwarg+ol at azavea.com
Mon Aug 30 12:10:07 EDT 2010

Hello Sylvain,

While not the most efficient, you can create 3 features for each item.  If
you are creating Point features, convert them to MultiPoint, LineString to
MultiLineString, and Polygon to MultiPolygon.

Place one set in the X coordinaties < -180, one set in the X coordinates >
-180 and < 180, and the last set in the X coordinates > 180.  Essentially,
triple the features used, and draw 3 'globes' worth of features.

You may see a flash when crossing the dateline, but your features won't
disappear when you cross the dateline (E to W, or W to E).

In practice, the extra features are not rendered because the renderer only
renders vector features that are visible in the viewport at any one time.

http://thematicmapping.org/playground/openlayers_piecharts_geojson_google_chart.php