[OpenLayers-Users] Using a proxy for WMS not WFS

Guillaume guillaume at cogesaf.qc.ca
Mon Feb 8 11:53:43 EST 2010

Hello,

I have a problem I’ve never encountered on forums before. Every topics deals
with proxy for WFS service and getcapabilities request, but I would like to
use a proxy for WMS service and getdata.

I use OpenLayers to interrogate several WMS services. One of this service
(private) is not hide behind a DNS and use the port 8080, so the address is
http://ip:8080/cgi-bin//mapserv.exe. For most of the users, everything works
fine. But for some users highly protected like government, they can’t see
the layers form this WMS service because their security doesn’t allow such
addresses.

So I would like to use a proxy to hide WMS addresses to users. The proxy
installed on my apache server is cURL. The best would be to use this proxy
only for the WMS service that causes problems. All examples I’ve seen on
internet deal with WFS services and html/xml response.

Would it be better to force the WMS service in question to hide his ip
behind a DNS ? Is “openlayer.proxyhost” usefull for such case and how to use
cURL instead of the proxy.cgi in OpenLayer’s examples which use is not
allowed by my webmaster? Is it a case that require modifications in the code
of the openlayer.js file ?

Thanks a lot !

Guillaume Lefèvre

Chargé de projet, Portail de l'eau