[OpenLayers-Users] Google + WMS = misalign

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Sat Jan 9 09:01:16 EST 2010

Hi Gregor,

Glad yo hear you have a work-around for your problem. I'd consider it a
workaround though, as long as you do not have not really found the reason
for the error.

> Comerc and Catastro are different servers; if their 23031 aligns
> properly to ours, that's enough to convince me that they're correct.
Excuse me, but that's stupid: if two people say 2+2=5 it doesn't make it
right. Besides, the error is in teh REprojection of 23031 to 9009l3, NOT in
the 23031 projection itself, that certainly could be OK...

Barend

On 08-01-10 21:58, "Gregor at HostGIS" <gregor at hostgis.com> wrote:

>>> The two basemaps are from someone else's server in EPSG:23031, and the
>>> two overlays are from two more servers, one of them (Comerc) being our
>>> own. Nice alignment, indicating that our definition for 23031 must be right.
>> No, it doesn't prove that. It only shows that the transform from the other
>> servers' projection  (23031) to yours is correct. And isn't your comerc
>> server also in 23031? So no reprojection needed?
>
> Comerc and Catastro are different servers; if their 23031 aligns
> properly to ours, that's enough to convince me that they're correct.
>
> But, I was given a solution by one of the client's other contacts, and
> is it neat although slightly complex and a bit odd, and now it overlays:
> http://eixos.planol.info/google/
>
> The original solution was adapted from here:
>http://delta.icc.es/ideLocal/IdecServ?codi=181609&tipus=L&schema=tempc
>
> It seems to use elements that are not 100% kosher by OL's modern
> standards. It declares the map's projection as EPSG:4326, modifies
> OpenLayers.Layer.WMS to reproject the coordinates in the URL, and
> doesn't use sphericalMercator but does use reproject:true. A weird set
> of hacks, but apparently very effective.
>
> --
> HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
> Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security
>     Network+   Server+   A+   Security+   Linux+
>     PHP   PostgreSQL   MySQL   DHTML/JavaScript/AJAX
>
> "No one cares if you can back up < only if you can recover."

Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.