[OpenLayers-Users] Refresh a marker without refreshing the whole map

James Bloc jbloc1878 at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 24 09:02:14 EST 2010

Hi,   i am currently using OS Open Space which i believe is similer to Open
Layers.

I am currenty displaying a map with a marker. However my marker coordinates
can change whilst the user is viewing the map so i would like the Marker
code to refresh and re-plot the marker every 10 seconds however i cannot
work out how to do this. I have tried adding aHTML refresh command <meta
http-equiv="refresh" content="10"> causes the whole map to refresh.

I tried creating a refresh function that calls the marker function i created
that plots the marker as shown below. however the marker looks like it
refreshes as the marker flashes every 10 seconds however it does not replot
if the coordinates if they have changed. Does anyone have any suggestions
for refreshing a function within javascript?

Thanks for any help in advance my code is below

<script type="text/javascript">

var osMap;

function init()
{
osMap = new OpenSpace.Map('map');

osMap.setCenter(new OpenSpace.MapPoint(439300, 114760), 8);

}

function refresh()

{

setInterval('marker()', 10000);

}

function marker()
{

var markers = new OpenLayers.Layer.Markers("Markers");
osMap.addLayer(markers);

// Default icon
var pos = new OpenSpace.MapPoint(438760, 114760);
var marker = new OpenLayers.Marker(pos);

markers.addMarker(marker);
}

</script>
</head>