[OpenLayers-Users] Limit tiles retrieved from a WMS to viewport extent

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Thu Jan 28 15:47:17 EST 2010

Hi everybody

I noticed that after zooming in/out OL requests much more tiles from eg.
a WMS server than are needed to show in the map container/viewport. That
means also tiles really far away from the geographical area currently
visible on the map are downloaded. I understand that in most cases this
is a desired behaviour to pre-load tiles for panning at the same zoom
level.

But for some applications and layers I would like to to restrict the
request and download of tiles to only those that would touch the
viewport after zooming. Is there an easy way or a setting to achieve
this? Best would be a restriction at the basis of single layers.

I checked the FAQ's and map and layer options but could not find any
setting that would do this. Any hint how to achieve this would be very
appreciated.

Greetings, Armin