[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Webmap for Global Pulse Journal

John Pearson enviropearson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:14:37 EDT 2010

Hello OpenLayers users,

I sent this email previously, but do not believe it went through -
apologies in advance for any duplication. I realize the users
list-serv is for more technical aspects but considering the low volume
on the Announcements list-serv, I wanted to make sure this message
reached the full developer community.

I am writing to you all as an Editor of Global Pulse, the
international health journal of the American Medical Students
Association. We are an open-access, 100% volunteer, student run
journal.

We are interested in using OpenLayers to develop a map or the archives
of our journal, dating back to its inception in 2005.  We seek to
georeference each story that has appeared and create a webmap page on
the site for readers to explore our stories. We also want to bring in
feeds from other geotagged content, such as  Wikipedia and Photos from
flickr, etc. We would like to be able to toggle by year and content
type (research, reflection, photoessays).  We estimate the total time
for the project to be around 40 hours.

Though we would need to rely on volunteer power to complete this
project, we hope to utilize it as a pilot to apply for grants in order
to create a larger, wiki style map (we estimate this project to
require 5k-10k+ in funds to develop) so your volunteer with this
project could lead to future work.  If you or anyone you know would be
interested in helping with this project in any way, please feel free
to contact me directly. Again, this would be a volunteer project with
the possibility of future paid work.

Sincerely,
John Pearson
Editor, AMSA's Global Pulse Journal