[OpenLayers-Users] GIS StackExchange

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Tue Jun 15 09:10:29 EDT 2010

Hi,

A proposal has been made for a GIS-centric StackExchange site:
  http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/1425/geographic-information-systems

For those of you who are not aware, StackExchange is a website
that allows for reputation-based question + answering, and provides
users a way to find good answers to many questions.

Currently, there are users of StackOverflow asking OpenLayers questions
there:

 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/openlayers

The quality of answers in general on StackOverflow is high:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/559431/how-to-display-data-using-openlayers-with-openstreetmap-in-geodjango

The reputation-based feedback to users encourages users to
create high-quality answers.

I have participated in other StackExchange sites (3500 rep, woohoo)
and enjoyed the process immensely, but the StackOverflow site has
too small of a ratio of OpenLayers questions for me to follow it
regularly.

If you are interested in having another way to ask/answer questions
related to OpenLayers, I would recommend committing to the
GIS site on the area51 link above. I can personally promise that
I will be participating in the StackExchange site in question if
it is set up, and I think that many other users could give and
receive help in this format.

(I'd also probably like to set up some cross-linking between the
mailing list and OpenLayers-tagged questions on a potential GIS
SE site, if one gets set up, to encourage cross-platform communication
about the topics in question.)

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt