[OpenLayers-Users] How to configure Open Source technologies for building a WebGIS application

giraam sdjbm17 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 14:41:18 EDT 2010

jehanzeb wrote:

> So do I, but
> I am not sure where to start from as I am new to use open source
> technologies for the development of an efficient webgis application using
> JAVA (JSP and Servlets) on windows (Vista/7). I selected those tools by
> reading information about them from the internet & some papers.
>
> Thankyou.

Use GeoServer instead of MapServer..! Just download and deploy the .war file
and you'll have the "Cache the image tiles" part with it too.. 2 birds with
a stone

jehanzeb wrote:

> (3) OpenLayers
> (5) GeoExt

Use Mapfish client! -> GeoExt + OpenLayers

4 birds with 2 stones so far ;)

As I'm new to GIS too (started developing since last March) I highly
recommend you to read as much as possible about the concepts first and then
you'll know what you really need to do.

-----
just another web developer