[OpenLayers-Users] Label overlay problem (WMS Mapserver + Openlayers)

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 16:47:33 EDT 2010

I think that the problem is that when you make two discrete calls to a
WMS, even the same WMS, when you make the second request, it doesn't
know anything about the first request.

If you control both of the WMS and they are MapServer based, you could
try setting a specific label placement for your features instead of
using auto.  For your first layer, you could put all labels in the
upper right and for the second layer, the lower left.  This could
still allow conflicts if the features are close enough together.

If the number of features is reasonable, you could set up annotation
layers that place the labels at pre-computed locations that don't
conflict with each other.

If possible, you could also combine your two layers into the same WMS
call, which should allow MapServer to do label auto-placement.

David.