[OpenLayers-Users] Trying to get sundials example to work locally

MikeF mdfirman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:03:13 EST 2010

Hello all,

I have been studying the 'sundials' example of loading markers from a kml
file:

http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/sundials.html

I have been trying to get this to work locally on my computer. To do this, I
copied the source code of the file into a blank html file on my computer,
and downloaded all the files referred to (e.g. css, js, kml) into the same
folder. I then changed all the references in the sundials.html file to point
to the local files.

For example,
                    url: "kml/sundials.kml",
became:
                    url: "sundials.kml",
and
    <script src="../OpenLayers.js"></script>
became
    <script src="OpenLayers.js"></script>

, with the files referenced in the same folder as sundials.html.

However, having done this the page does not open correctly. The map is
displayed, and I can pan and zoom on it. However, none of the markers are
displayed. I have used FireBug but discovered no errors in the code. I have
tried both leaving the kml file as is, and changing the global icon links
(to http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/shapes/sunny.png) to point to a
local file.

Has anyone else had any luck with this? Managing to do this would help me to
add my own kml markers.

Many thanks for any help,

Mike