[OpenLayers-Users] slimming OL

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 09:15:49 EST 2010

>From Firebug's 'Net' panel, my mixed, OpenLayers, Google Maps test page shows --

Google js
----------
maps: 4.3 KB
main.js: 67.7 KB
vp: 661 B
%7Bmod_drag,mod_ctrapi%7D.js: 11.2 KB
vp: 660 B
=============
That totals 85 KB

OpenLayers.js: 695.1 KB

Why is OL almost 10 times the size of Gmaps scripts?

If I want the functionality somewhat equivalent to what Gmaps
provides, can I re-build OL with fewer parts so it slims down?

Right now OL is the largest js component of my work, more than Gmaps
and jQuery combined. Partly, it seems that there are many frameworks
layered on top of each other. OL depends on Prototype and other
frameworks, so even if I were using Prototype (I am not, but this is
just for illustration), I would still get Prototype within OL,
duplicating stuff.

This is one of the reasons I don't even want to look at GeoExt, and
MapFish and other frameworks made from OpenLayers, instead trying to
accomplish my goals with just OL. From MapFish's notes, it is
"composed of the ExtJS, OpenLayers, GeoExt JavaScript toolkits." So
MapFish uses ExtJS and GeoExt and OL, and GeoExt uses ExtJS and OL,
and OL uses Prototype and Rico, and Rico uses Prototype. This is very
circular and confusing.

--
Puneet Kishor