[OpenLayers-Users] slimming OL

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Mar 9 14:36:05 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 01:06:50PM -0600, P Kishor wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Wendell Turner <wendell at enflight.com> wrote:

> >>   http://docs.openlayers.org/library/deploying.html#custom-build-profiles
> >>
> >> "Once you have included these files, you should add more files to the
> >> ‘[include]’ section of the file. The files listed here should be the list of
> >> files containing any class you use in your application. You can typically find
> >> these classes by looking through your code for any cases where ‘new
> >> OpenLayers.ClassName()’ is used."
> >
> > Cool.  I tried that, and was able to reduce my OpenLayers.js
> > to 371K (or 52%, I'm using a lot of Controls and Handlers).
> >
> > Everything works, but this:  when modifying a LineString,
> > the line turns blue with boxes on it (as usual).  The
> > LineString can be modified.  However clicking away from the
> > line does not un-highlight it.  You must click on the Pan or
> > Draw icon to un-highlight the line.  I see no error messages
> > in the error console or firebug.  What items are missing in
> > my custom OL build?
> >

> this is exactly the kind of thing that would stop me from attempting
> to slim OL based on my 2nd-person-removed understanding of how it
> works.

It's responses like this that discourage me from trying to respond and
help users on the mailing list. I brought up specific responses to a
number of your concerns, and your response is to ignore all of that,
take a followup -- which, so far as I can tell, is not actually related
to the custom build -- and respond in a negative tone to that.

I apologize for trying to help explain how things worked, or pointing
out our existing documentation on the topic; in the future, I'll
remember that trying to help will just be ignored in favor of sniping
at documentation.

Best of luck.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta