[OpenLayers-Users] BING and OpenLayers

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 22:01:57 EST 2010

Hi All,

I'm trying to resolve some strange behavior in my OpenLayers map.  I am
using a BING maps base layer, and a GeoJson feature collection layer.  Both
layers display in the map, but the GeoJson layer "acts funny".  For one
thing, it is slightly offset from where it should be located, and for
another, it doesn't move with the BING base layer when I pan the map.

I am trying to follow the instructions at
http://docs.openlayers.org/library/spherical_mercator.html#spherical-mercator,
which seem to be very well written, but may be slightly out of date?  For
example, the doc says to instantiate a new VirtualEarth layer by doing this:

var layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.VirtualEarth("Virtual Earth",
 {
     sphericalMercator: true,
     maxExtent: new
OpenLayers.Bounds(-20037508.34,-20037508.34,20037508.34,20037508.34)
 });

But the current examples show using this syntax:

            var roads = new OpenLayers.Layer.VirtualEarth("Road Map",
                 {  type: VEMapStyle.Shaded,
                    numZoomLevels: 21  }
            );

In any case, I can't seem to figure out how to apply the projection
instructions that are on the doc.  Also, I'm not sure if a projection
mismatch is causing the problem I'm seeing, but I figure it's a place
to start.

Would appreciate some advice regarding how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,

Roger