[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers, Geoserver and Projections.

Casper Børgesen cbo at le34.dk
Fri Mar 26 12:09:11 EDT 2010

Hi Mike and Mapmaker.

Thanks for your answers. I will chew on them and see if my stomach can turn your knowledge into something useful :)

There is something I don't understand though, and I hope you can enlighten me on this matter:

1. I would think that the 'map' object would have a projection assigned and this projection would describe how the user sees the data.

You described that Geoserver do projections on the fly - great :) But also that the base layers should all be in the same projection (sad).

2. If I know in what projection a (base) layer is in, I would tell OpenLayers in the layer configuration. Then there might be a difference between the projection of the layer and the map, but as I see OpenLayers, it is used as a top-down-looking (orthogonal-view) framework for displaying geo-data, and the difference thus could be described by a 2D translation in screen space? Of course this needs to be determined, but this must be relatively simple.
** The reasoning is that no matter what projection is used, it would still result in an image (or set of tiles) on the computer screen - the question is 'just' where.

I hope you have the patience to help me understand why it isn't that simple :)

Regards, Casper