[OpenLayers-Users] Strategy/Save and Protocol/???

Jeff Dege jeff.dege at korterra.com
Tue Mar 30 18:04:02 EDT 2010

A few years back (OpenLayers 2.5) I built a site that allowed the users to create, update, and delete geometric features, using OpenLayers.Layer.Vector, using it's preFeatureInsert and onFeatureInsert hooks to save data on the server via ASP.NET's asynchronous callbacks.  Geometries were communicated in both directions using GML.

I'm currently tasked with creating a new site that does much the same sort of thing, but taking advantage of updates in technology, our own improvements in understanding, etc.  One thing we'll be doing differently is using calls to a webservice instead of asynchronous callbacks.  On the OpenLayers end, it looks as if it would be pretty straightforward to use the same preFeatureInsert and onFeatureInsert hooks to initiate the calls to the webservice. But I've noticed the new OpenLayers.Strategy.Save and OpenLayers.Protocol.*, and I'm wondering if there would be any advantages to using these new methods, perhaps with my own custom protocol.

I've not seen any good examples that showed how Strategy.Save would be used.  Can anyone point me to one?

And does anybody have any ideas on why Strategy.Save would be a better approach, than just hooking into Vector. onFeatureInsert?

Thanks.