[OpenLayers-Users] Show huge vector layers

Roald de Wit list at rdewit.net
Mon May 3 08:47:58 EDT 2010

Hi René,

About a year ago, I tackled a similar problem [1]  by putting
FeatureServer [2] in front of my WFS server, acting as a WPS (sort of).
Nowadays there are a few applications that can do real WPS (OGC
standard), like PyWPS, Zoo, deegree (IIRC). The nice thing with FS was
that I only needed to proved the resolution as an extra WFS parameter to
get it to work in OL.

The idea is simple:
- convert your GPX data into something that GeoServer (or MapServer,
etc) can consume and then output as WFS
- have a WPS act as a proxy between OL and your WFS and
- configure the WPS to simplify the features it returns, based on your
map resolution. The more you zoom in, the less you have it simplify and
vice versa.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Roald