[OpenLayers-Users] potential big IE performance enhancement- help!

mortac8 ashley_c_mort at raytheon.com
Tue May 18 11:58:15 EDT 2010

I think there is a potential to greatly improve the rendering performance  in
IE (cases of large# of points).

Take points for example.  In VML.js setStyle, every .style action seems to
trigger a browser reflow:
node.style.width="18px"; //1st reflow
node.style.height="18px"; //2nd reflow
node.style.top="10px"; //3rd reflow
node.style.left="10px"; //4th reflow

I am trying to do:
node.style.cssText="width:18px;height:18px;top:10px;left:10px;"; //only 1
reflow!

The node.style.cssText only works the first time (when the point is
initially created and added).  If I zoom on the map, I see my .cssText
values changing (in IE Developer Tools) but the point always remains at the
original screen location :(

I am really pulling my hair out as to why we can't get node.style.cssText to
take effect after the initial draw.  Any ideas???

PS: If I set node.style.cssText, remove the node (removeChild), and then do
this.vectorRoot.appendChild(node); the styling will be correct however the
remove&add obviously negate any styling performance gains.

Help!  Thank you!