[OpenLayers-Users] IE 8 this.size.w is null or not an object -OL 2.9

Dash jimlug at co.clackamas.or.us
Tue May 18 15:03:28 EDT 2010

Well, after many hours of struggling and the process of elimination I figured
it out .  I'll share my results for anyone else struggling like me .

Previously, I was using a getFullSRequestString with a OpenLayers.loadURL to
return an Ajax object that contained my GML information.  Then, I converted
the response into and XML format for parsing.

xmlFormat = new OpenLayers.Format.XML().read(response.responseText);

>From the XML, I needed to obtain some tag information.  I've placed a field
("feature") in my data that describes the title of the layer.  I used this
to identify which layer I'm working with.

featureType = xmlFormat.getElementsByTagName("feature")[0];  // This is the
part that did not work in IE but every other browser
lyrName = featureType.textContent;  // Provided me with layer name that was
stored in feature field

Since I'm rather new to DOM and XML parsing I had to dig a little deeper and
this is what I found.

featureType = xmlFormat.getElementsByTagName("feature")[0].firstChild.data;

The above statement worked in all browsers: IE, Safari, Opera and Firefox.

I hope this helps.