[OpenLayers-Users] this.div.appendChild is not a function OpenLayers.js (line 897)

Jan Henrik Øverland janhenrik.overland at gmail.com
Thu May 20 08:30:55 EDT 2010

Hi, Firebug reports: this.div.appendChild is not a function    OpenLayers.js
(line 897) -> this.div.appendChild(this.element);

By using alerts I can see that this happens when the overviewmap control is
added to the map:

MAP.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.OverviewMap({
    div: $('overviewmap'),
    size: new OpenLayers.Size(188, 97),
    minRectSize: 0
}));

The mouse position control has stopped working as well (I comment out the
overviewmap and get no errors).

This has worked perfectly for a long time, and I didn't change any libs
recently. Still using OL 2.8. What could cause this error?