[OpenLayers-Users] which is the best way to display a set of points coming from database?

RFeagin ryan.feagin at PEACHTREEGEOGRAPHICS.COM
Wed Sep 1 11:05:15 EDT 2010

I had a need for simply displaying thousands of css styled points from a SQL
Server db (no need for click handlers) and ended up creating a custom tiled
vector layer.  The points are created as img tags.  I can even swap the
style sheet on the fly to change thematics without having to post anything
back.  Carving up the data into the tiles allowed for caching of the point
data too since the bounding box of each tile is consistent just like with a
WMS.  On the database side, it returns clustered points with css styles as
KML.  I never have gotten around to cleaning up the code or getting it to be
generic and to the point where it was worthy of submitting back to the
community.  I only took it just as far as I needed for what I was doing.  If
someone else could benefit from it and be able to finish it up, I'd of
course be more than willing to send it.