[OpenLayers-Users] Poll: Common pitfalls when using OpenLayers / what annoys you the most?

JK Chen jk.chen at sdl.usu.edu
Fri Aug 5 10:57:10 EDT 2011

Hi Marc,

>From my own perspective, I have suffered in these areas:

1. Feature and marker and popup. I needed to create markers, each has a polygon, when marker clicked, popup will show up. It's pain to implement them in OL. (a)The bindings of those three are not trivial and sometimes counter-intuitive in OL. (b) Popup does not have tabs. (c) marker does not have hint text window when mouse move over. All of these not directly available in OL API.

2. Regarding the # of features and markers, I have hundreds, close to thousands of polygons, I can see it is slow when hundreds of markers are being drawn.

3. Till today, I still don't know how to do multiple base maps, how to switch between them.....

4. I don't like the default GUI (pam, zoom gui). It looks not pretty.

5. I don't like the way OL style a feature or vector. It is confusing to me. (but I eventually succeeded in that, taking long time though).

6. There is no OL API to draw a search box (a box with NE and SW corners with marker on corner) and drag the box. I have to implement it myself.

Compared to GMap api, I think OL is not as OO  and  slow for me to develop application. All in all, my experience with OL is not particularly pleasant, but I stick to it.  I'm new in this area, so I don't know many choices....

Thanks.

JK