[OpenLayers-Users] polyline example

Michael mdm at yachtpc.com
Sat Aug 6 10:15:05 EDT 2011

I believe that Andreas has updated a function that would help in this
regard called "tween", I think

Unaware of that, I built a rather complex animation tool.  You can see a
temporary example at http://track.pacificcup.org/track.php?race=transpac

Select a boat from the left of the screen and then use the vcr controls
at the top to animate.

It works by maintaining an array of points that parallels the points in
the linestring.  At selected intervals, I add a point from the array to
the linestring.  Then I clear the linestring at the end.

To do fancier stuff, like go in reverse, I added a time attribute to
each point, so I can count backwards through the vertices (points) of
the linestring till I get to one that is older than the new cutoff time,
deleting the newer ones.

The code is, well, complex, because the page is doing a bunch of other
things.  I keep meaning to extract an example, and perhaps I should!
Meantime, it IS possible.

Michael