[OpenLayers-Users] WFS GetFeature w/French char in response = null ptr in IE

myOpenLayersUName joanne.mcgraw at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Aug 31 13:37:02 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use the OpenLayers.Control.GetFeature with an
OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS.fromWMSLayer protocol.

When there is a French character in a featureMember's attribute value the
selection fails in IE (works in FF) with a null pointer exception because
the responseText's XML can't be parsed properly. The issue, as far as I can
tell, is that either the OpenLayers.Request.POST is supposed to indicate
that the "Content-Type" will be "text/xml; charset=utf-8" rather than just
"text/xml" or that the OpenLayers.Format.XML read function is supposed to
attach the proper "Content-Type" somehow (not real clear on that one but it
seems to be how it is working in FF).

There doesn't appear to be any way to pass the "Content-Type" config to the
OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS.v1 read's OpenLayers.Request.POST and I'm leery of
overriding that read function to force this because I have a feeling it will
have ramifications beyond just this little problem I'm having for a
particular layer.

Has anyone come across this in this area before and, if so, how did you
avert the null pointer exception?

Cheers,
jtm