[OpenLayers-Users] Adding or Deleting a new Field in shapefile in OL+GeoServer Application

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Tue Jul 12 04:03:57 EDT 2011

Hi,

if you don't have a Desktop GIS, open the .dbf file that comes with
the shapefile in e.g. LibreOffice or MS Excel. Add the columns you
want, and save it again in dBase III format. Then go into the
GeoServer admin UI, select the layer you have changed under "Layers",
and hit the "reload feature type" button at the bottom of the page.
You will then see the new columns listed.

Regards,
Andreas.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Mustafa646 <noorcs22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have developed an Application in OpenLayer and GeoServer. I Displayed one
> Layer over Google map. In that Layer, user is able to add or modify
> attribute data of any feature. But, the customer wants to add or delete new
> field in existing shapefile while working on Web Interface. Is it Possible ?
>
> How we can add or delete a new field in shapefile ?
>
> Need some help if some code sample available then it will be helpful.

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/