[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers UI Library/CMS?

Arnie Shore ashore3 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 23 10:50:46 EDT 2011

Folks, in planning to move our (mostly!) Open Source dispatch
application (Tickets CAD by name) to OpenLayers (thanks to all here who
have replied to this noob's questions) I'm considering an alternative to
our Plan A, this plan consisting of a largely one-for-one replacement of
each of the existing low-level GMaps API function calls.

Our alternative approach, Plan B, wd make use of any popular server-side
CMS or client-side UI libraries that can provide the target OSM/OL
capabilities, along with the second tall-pole-in-our-tent, a data-grid
capability.  JQuery and Drupal come to mind here.

The target implementation wd be made available in two flavors, the first
providing for access to an OSM repository. The second - more oriented to
emergency operations sans Internet availability - wd include
locally-stored tile sets for the areas of user interest.

The application is oriented to meeting data handling needs, rather than
to cartographic requirements.  Our existing application's capabilities
are generally satisfactory, but there's a lot of PHP ad JS that I'd
expect to replace with whatever Plan B provides out-of-the-box.  Data
handling requirements so far are modest; tables of several hundred entries.

The other givens are free, some Open Source license, PHP, and a minimal
number of dependencies.  I've done enough preliminary work with a TMS
directory structure to satisfy myself that a geo-server (for the
non-Internet implementation) wd add un-needed complexity, and I'm ruling
that out.

So, any suggestions, URL's, caveats, experiences, etc. re likely
candidates are solicited.

Thanks again, all.  The help you've provided in the past is gratefully
acknowledged.