[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers 2.10 Beginner's Guide - Useful?

Nicholas Efremov-Kendall n.e.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 09:50:26 EDT 2011

I agree, it's a good overview of some of the basics of OL and as Rich said
goes into the high-level components. Like a lot of programming books it
provides you the basics, with one example application with the
'dots-connected,' showing you how to build a Flickr/OL mashup. If you're a
noob, you'll definitely learn from the book, but it's by no means an
end-all, be-all.

For web-mapping concepts, I highly recommend 'Mapscripting 101', which
although it focuses mostly on Google and Yahoo (now defunct) mapping APIs it
does a really good job of introducing concepts that can easily be
transferred to OL once you wrap you're head around them. It also introduces
the Mapstraction JS, which to some extent works with OL, but I think it's
useful for introducing a lot of web-mapping concepts which aren't spelled
out elsewhere (i.e. geocoding, creating/using geodatabases, geolocation,
etc). It doesn't cover all of these subjects in great detail, but it's more
oriented on web-mapping concepts, rather than getting far under the hood
with one or another library...