[OpenLayers-Users] Problems with large datasets, WFS, alternatives.

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Thu Mar 10 16:17:54 EST 2011

> so you need a getfeatureinfo call from wms, that returns exactly a
> feature' attributes.
Getfeatureinfo doesnt cut it because I am querying by polygon - and also
returns geometry in gml. I was looking for a way to make the WFS call
without getting back geometry.

My WMS select plan would be something like this:

WMSselect = new OpenLayers.Layers.WMS etc with a filter that ensures no
features selected.

Add to map.

On select what I want would be WFS call that returns without geometry.
   Change the filter on WMSselect so it filters for the ids returned by
WFS. Refresh the WMSselect display.

Looking at the WFS specification, it should be possible to specify which
properties are returned (excluding geometry) through the query
specification. I cant see how to use this in Openlayers though.

--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232