[OpenLayers-Users] Zoom to filtered feature

Ravi Pavuluri ravitheja at ymail.com
Sat Mar 12 19:36:24 EST 2011

Michal,

You can try making Ajax call for WFS using a general ajax function or make use
of OpenLayers.loadURL or similar ones.

I work mainly with Geoserver and in order to get bounds, you will have  to turn
on the "return bounding box for every feature" in the WFS  settings.

A sample WFS for Geoserver
http://MyServer/geoserver/wfs?request=GetFeature&version=1.1.0&typeName=topp:states&propertyName=STATE_NAME,PERSONS&MAXFEATURES=1

A sample working WFS for MapServer
http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wfs?SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.0.0&REQUEST=getfeature&TYPENAME=continents&MAXFEATURES=1

Parse the output from the XML of Ajax call. Look for <gml:boundedBy> tag if you
are just zooming to the bounds. You will have to look at <Geometry> or <geom>
tag and build you own feature out of the coordinates and overlay it.

May be someone has a better way of doing this.

-Ravi.