[OpenLayers-Users] Finding the country/state/city beneath the mouse click

Christian Mayer mayer at terrestris.de
Thu Mar 24 03:51:00 EDT 2011

Hello Hara,

what you want to do is possible in different ways:

To your approach a):
Right, you can load the features via KML or GML or other Vector formats
into your map. Then you have OpenLayers support for selecting
"features". The advantage is that it works offline. Drawback the
actuality of the data (you have to update the stuff) and too many
features will crash your browser.

To your approach b):
You can query a WFS by clicking the feature, but I don't know if there
is an open WFS for your purpose.

What I would do or what could be an appropriate way:
Render your maps and implement an own click handler. see:
http://openlayers-buch.de/beispiele/chapter-10/click.html and
http://openlayers-buch.de/beispiele/chapter-10/OpenLayers.Control.Box.js
This handler has to be adapted that it queries open data sources such
Nominatim (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim) or geonames
(http://www.geonames.org/).

Best regards,
Chris