[OpenLayers-Users] ArcGIS REST services

Jeff Dege jeff.dege at korterra.com
Fri Mar 25 10:24:43 EDT 2011

ESRI has published a standard for accessing map data via REST webservices:

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisserver/archive/2010/09/07/The-GeoServices-REST-Specification_3A00_-An-open-standard-for-GIS-Web-services.aspx

They have made a good deal of map data available for non-commercial purposes:

http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services

This includes a reasonably current world street landbase:

http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Street_Map/MapServer

So now the questions:

How can I most easily display this landbase as a layer in OpenLayers?

Does OpenLayers support the GeoServices REST specification?  Is there any work in progress to do so?

Any idea how much work would be involved to add such support to OpenLayers?

If I cannot access GeoServices REST data from OpenLayers, does anyone know of an Open Source WMS/WFS server that does/will support GeoServices REST data?