[OpenLayers-Users] Dateline WMS & vector drawing issue

adams adams at terrestris.de
Thu May 19 11:20:26 EDT 2011

Dear list,

in a project we have to deal with natural events over the world. The
setup is google as background and WMS on top. As you know in Google the
world exists several times, not to say endless...;-)

Our problems coming out of this setting are these:

first problem:
The measuring (and drawing) over the dateline does not work. There was
an issue about exactly the same problem last august on the dev-List with
an attached kind of "patch", but that one does not work properly
(http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/openlayers-dev/2010-August/006360.html)
and causes funny behavings.

second problem:
Also the WMS-layers are not drawn over the dateline. We worked with the
"wrap dateline" parameter, but using this requires tiling and tiling
causes much more requests and images to be loaded by the client. We have
about 30-40 WMS in the application. A tiling will slow down the
application (especially the client) and at least lets crash slow
browsers like IE8 (indeed - IE9 is a lot faster).

One of the layers in the application are actual hurricanes, so it is
very important to zoom to the pacific region and see the moving way of
the event. In the moment we only see the "bigger" part either in the
west or in the east of the dateline.

I guess using vector layers instead of WMS might work, but in the named
30-40 layers we might have thousands of points. Drawing these as vectors
again would cause massive performance problems.

So my questions are:
-> did anybody have similar problems and did you find a solution (or
even not)?
-> are there any patches out there which are worth to test?

Thanks in advance, best

Till

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Irmintrudisstrasse 17