[OpenLayers-Users] Re: Updating Data: Comet, Push, or What?

Michael mdm at yachtpc.com
Mon May 23 13:16:41 EDT 2011

Well, it seems like we have a pretty strong sense that long
polling/Comet might be overkill for what I have described.  What I glean
from this all is:

a.  Simple is better unless you REALLY need fancy.
b.  Normal polling with appropriate intervals should suit most
applications, or at least mine.
c.  No need to hit the DB every time.  Render a static file periodically
and use that.
d.  Wait for Websockets.  Maybe.  If you really need it.

Meantime, I've been using the static data file deal for a while.

Hmm.  Maybe a neat trick would be to pass a value in the data for
"refresh = n" where n = the suggested refresh rate, including 0 for "do
not refresh"

That way I can scale the traffic when I have to, and can turn off
updating when the event is over.

Michael