[OpenLayers-Users] Open Layers and KML overlays

denis cabasson denis.cabasson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:08:08 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am curently working on a map which aims at displaying some boundaries as
an overlay on a base map. To do that, we are currently using a KML overlay
along with Google Maps (v3).

I am eveluating open layers, and have been so far able to get open layers to
display the same overlay. However, it would seem the overlays are done on
the client side when using open layers, while the overlays are done on the
server side when using Google maps (the KML files have boundaries that
countains >5000 points, and the file is 3Mb).
It seems the overlay on the client side makes the zooming / moving on the
map less acurate, as the overlay is moving out of synch with the base layer.

Is there a way to use Open Layers, but still take advantage of the ability
of google maps to do the overlay on the server side?

I will work on an example of the  options tomorrow, but I was wondering if
any of you guys already had this issue.

Thanks.
Denis.