[OpenLayers-Users] Easy question about adding a map file as a WMS layer from a beginner

Дмитрий Кожух kozhukh at tut.by
Sat Sep 10 07:41:11 EDT 2011

Hello!

I've just started to learn about OpenLayers, MapServer etc.

And I have a question. When I add a Map file as Mapserver layer it works
fine, but when I add it as WMS layer it just displays a background color
(that I have defined in my .map file) and some small unreadable letters.

Probably you would be so kind to help me to find a mistake in my map file or
in html?

Thanks and sorry for asking such a beginner question.

Here is my mapfile:

MAP

  NAME 'World Map'

  # Map image size

  STATUS ON

  SIZE 600 300

  EXTENT -180.0 -90.0 180.0 90.0

  UNITS dd

  SHAPEPATH 'C://GIS/Data/puvWorld'

  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

  PROJECTION

    'proj=longlat'

    'ellps=WGS84'

    'datum=WGS84'

    'no_defs'

  END

  # Background color for the map canvas -- change as desired

  IMAGECOLOR 255 0 0

  IMAGEQUALITY 95

  IMAGETYPE png24

  OUTPUTFORMAT

                NAME png

                DRIVER "GD/PNG"

                MIMETYPE "image/png"

                IMAGEMODE PC256

                EXTENSION "png"

  END

  # Legend

  LEGEND

      IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

    STATUS ON

    KEYSIZE 18 12

    LABEL

      TYPE BITMAP

      SIZE MEDIUM

      COLOR 0 0 89

    END

  END

  # Web interface definition. Only the template parameter

  # is required to display a map. See MapServer documentation

  WEB

    # Set IMAGEPATH to the path where MapServer should

    # write its output.

    IMAGEPATH '/tmp/'

    # Set IMAGEURL to the url that points to IMAGEPATH

    # as defined in your web server configuration

    IMAGEURL '/tmp/'

    # WMS server settings

    METADATA

      'wms_title'           'World Map'

      'wms_onlineresource'  '
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=wms.map&'

      'wms_srs'             'EPSG:4326'

    END

    #Scale range at which web interface will operate

    # Template and header/footer settings

    # Only the template parameter is required to display a map. See
MapServer documentation

  END

  LAYER

    NAME 'world_raster'

    TYPE RASTER

    DATA world_raster.tif

    METADATA

      'wms_title' 'world_raster'

      #'queryable' 'true'

      #'wms_srs'   'EPSG:4326'

    END

    STATUS DEFAULT

    TRANSPARENCY 100

    PROJECTION

    'proj=longlat'

    'ellps=WGS84'

    'datum=WGS84'

    'no_defs'

    END

  END

  LAYER

    NAME 'world_adm0'

    TYPE POLYGON

    DATA world_adm0

    METADATA

      'wms_title' 'world_adm0'

      #'queryable' 'true'

      #'wms_srs'   'EPSG:4326'

    END

    STATUS DEFAULT

    TRANSPARENCY 100

    PROJECTION

    'proj=longlat'

    'ellps=WGS84'

    'datum=WGS84'

    'no_defs'

    END

    CLASS

       NAME 'world_adm0'

       STYLE

         SYMBOL 0

         SIZE 6

         OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

       END

    END

  END

END

And here is my html code:

  <head>

        #map {

            width: 600px;

            height: 300px;

            border: 1px solid black;

        }

    <script src="/openlayers/OpenLayers.js"></script>

    <script type="text/javascript">

        <!--

        var map, layer;

        function init(){

            map = new OpenLayers.Map( 'map' );

                                                layer = new
OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "World Map",

                                      "
http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:/GIS/Projects/puvWorld.map"

                                      /*{

                                         layers: 'world_raster',
'world_adm0',

                                                     srs: 'EPSG:4326'

                                       }*/

                                      );

                                                /*layer = new
OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer( "World Map",

            "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe", {map:
'C:/GIS/Projects/puvWorld.map'} );*/

            /*layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer( "OpenLayers WMS",

                    "http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0", {layers: 'basic'}
);*/

            map.addLayer(layer);

            map.zoomToMaxExtent();