[OpenLayers-Users] Regarding Places near 5mile of radius of my current Lat, Long

Steve Nelson snelson at webapper.com
Sat Apr 21 01:23:53 EDT 2012

I haven't tried this yet, so I'm just guessing. But as far as i understand
it you can download the 21GB dataset from  http://planet.openstreetmap.org/

In that dataset, I assume it has the places you're looking for. Probably
the best solution is to store that data in a MySQL database. Insert the
points using mysql's geospatial point type:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/populating-spatial-columns.html

The select statement to get the distances is a little convoluted. See if
you can get that far of downloading the data and populating a table with
the points.

Steve