[OpenLayers-Users] Pros and cons of the various renderers? (SVG, SVG2, Canvas)

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Apr 30 16:55:14 EDT 2012

> SVG2 is deprecated and no longer maintained.

Hmm. The release notes for 2.11 say:
"New SVG2 renderer. By default, OpenLayers still uses the SVG renderer,
but the new one has several advantages:"

I assumed from that, that OL was moving to SVG2. If rendering works on
OL with SVG2 and Canvas but not with SVG, then it sounds like I should
indeed log the bug.

> Canvas is initially fast
> for rendering many vertices, but it is not good if you don't do many
> interactive symbolizer changes (e.g. feature selection with visual
> feedback) on layers with tons of features, because it has to redraw
> the whole viewport for every such change. SVG supports a few more
> symbolizer properties than Canvas, but Canvas is catching up.

Thanks for that. Are there browser differences to worry about as well?