[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers and Google v3.6 geocoder x and y variable name change ?

karsten karsten at terragis.net
Thu Aug 16 23:05:56 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I have been using the Google v3 geocoder
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false
<http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false&v=3.6>
&v=3.6"></script>
in conjunction with OpenLayers in some web gis projects for a while very low
volume ... Some months ago the geocoder (at least the way I out it in)
ceased to work correctly and I checked in Firebug what was wrong. Apparently
Google changed the name of the x and y variables for the coordinates . No
idea why - but when I updated to what I saw in firebug it worked again. Now
today (or some days back) apparently Google did another change again ..
Again no idea why
So my line of code below previous did get me the coordinates  I wanted to
zoom the map to:

treffer_zoom(results[0].geometry.location.Sa
,results[0].geometry.location.Ra);

so Sa and Ra variable names for the coordinates - but now firebugs shows
that the names are now 'a' and 'ab' - what the heck ?
Has anyone an idea why this happened, if Google does this on purpose to
break sites or if there is a better way to avoid this every other couple of
month to happen ?

Cheers
Karsten

Karsten Vennemann